- Purchase a roundtrip ticket. But but do not worry about how you’re getting from one city to the next… a route will create itself and you will change your mind every 24hrs.
- Take notes from a Lonely Planet SEAsia guide. Although somewhat touristy, it has maps and tips that can be useful.
- If you want local tips visit littlemisslocal.com OR travelfish.com
- Purchase travel insurance. Just do it.
- Get a massage everyday.
- Stay in hostels to meet fellow travelers and share information (if you’re a girl it’s much easier to change in all-girl dormitories as opposed to co-ed)
- Pack light because no one cares what you’re wearing!
- Bring a rain jacket and long sleeve shirts.
- Bring an iPhone/iPad or some sort of device that has wifi connection!
- Always wear a scarf to cover your shoulders when entering temples.
- Carry an extra pair of socks (when you have to take off your shoes and prefer not to go barefoot)
- Barter with the locals but do not fight over a few cents here or there.
- Carry generic allergy medicine at all times (I got bit by a mosquito while sleeping and my eye blew up).
- Tuk tuks are inexpensive so give a local a job and let them take you around the town.
- Be generous.
- Eat locally.
- Do not hesitate when it comes to eating at street cart vendors (just watch their technique and make sure they wash their plates well).
- Do NOT drink the water unless you see them open the bottle (especially at the fancy restaurants).
- Do not leave home without a pair of sneakers and flip flops.
- And most importantly, do NOT limit yourself. Be safe. Be kind. Be smart.
Next post will spotlight some of the fun I had in SanFran! #wwLML