“If you could dine anywhere in New York today, where would it be?”
LML ANSWER: If I could dine anywhere in New York for a Christmas meal… I’d choose to dine at Dan Barber’s farm to table restaurant: Stone Barns Blue Hill.
STONE BARNS BLUE HILL
630 Bedford Road, Tarrytown, NY 10591
Known for their local farm to table cuisine, I was confident that this would be the meal of all meals.
- STONE BARNS RESERVATION: Most people book their table months in advance, but I was able to get a last minute table for 2 at 9pm on Open Table for Mama Ma & me.
- LOCATION/VALET PARKING: Although accessible by train/taxi, we drove to Stone Barns from Manhattan. After an hours drive in the car (we kinda/sorta missed the Bedford Road turn off multiple times), we pulled into Stone Barns and handed over the car to the (complimentary) valet team.
- ON THE FARM: All guests are invited to walk around the farm. If you stop by the gift shop you can pick up a complimentary map or download the free smartphone app for a virtual tour.
- DINING ENVIRONMENT: When you walk into the dining room, it feels cozy yet extremely spacious; the furniture is welcoming, modern, and refined.
- DRESS CODE: Guests were dining as couples or small, intimate parties. Most were dressed elegantly or business casual.
ON THE MENU: As stated on their website, Stone Barns does not have a set menu. Our server explained that the menu is created by the Chef(s) based on the produce grown on the farm, the products from local, sustainable purveyors and our personal preferences/food constraints; therefore the only decision we were responsible for were the amount of courses.
Typically guests are asked to choose from 5 courses, 8 courses or 12 courses, but as a friend of Head Chef Fausto Rivera, he had something else in mind… #22 courses #VIP
(BTW there’s no flash allowed in the restaurant so all of these pictures were snapped via candlelight on my iPhone.)
1. Pickled Vegetables
2. Handmade Pretzel Bites & Salami
22. Fresh Fruit & Chocolate Truffles
OVERVIEW: Needless to say, that was the most impressive meal I’ve EVER experienced. Twenty-two, yes, 22 flavorful courses in one sitting.
The food was delicious, playful and beautifully presented. As each plate arrived to the table, our server explained intricate dishes with mini food presentations (how they smoke their speck, the explanation behind bio-char, where they source their external produce, etc.), in addition to her favorite way to enjoy the meal (eaten with hands, paired with cheese, etc.)!
Chef Fausto Rivera and the Stone Barns Blue Hill team made my YEAR. Thank you Chefs.