Chefs Mario Batali (left) and Michael White (right) are really big deals in the culinary world.
Michael White is a renown restaurateur; he owns multiple restaurants under the Alta Marea Group… and Mario Batali is an international food celebrity, writer and restaurateur.
Together they probably run a majority of the best restaurants in NYC…
ON THE MENU:
- Hors D’oeuvres: Fig, Robiola, Lambrusco Gelée, Arancini (Risotto Balls), Tigelle with Lardo Pesto, Chicken Liver Crostini, Salumi e Formaggi
- Dinner: Parmigiano Sformato (Savory Custard) with Radicchio Salad; Goat Cheese Agnolotti (Pasta); Beef Short Ribs & Aged Strip in Red Wine Sauce with a Fried Squash Cake
- Dessert: Tartaletta della Nonna with Huckleberries & Cinnamon Gelato
FUNNY STORY OF THE NIGHT:
When there was a few minutes of down time between the first and second course, Chef White brought over a beverage to Chef Batali…
Mario Batali choked and said, “What is this?” Michael White replied, “It’s water!”
Then Batali said, “I prefer all of my water to have passed through a grape vine!” Then the entire kitchen exploded with laughter, Chef got his glass of vino and service continued!
INTERESTING FACT OF THE NIGHT:
Chef Batali cooked one of his signature pasta dishes; when a Chef in the kitchen inquired about the pasta, he told us he has his own pasta factory that distributes his pasta to all of his restaurants; making him more consistent than McDonalds :)
OVERALL: This was the best night in the house. So welcoming, and so much fun.
When you work in a kitchen with Mario Batali, be prepared to laugh, a lot. Most kitchens are quiet and work driven, however Batali said to me, “you know… it’s okay to laugh!” I loved the fact that we could get all of our work done while holding a conversation (and that definitely helped calm my nerves).
- So fortunate I got the chance to work with so much talent;
- Opportunities like these confirm that my career change from certified principal to culinarian was the right decision;
- This night alone completely exceeded any goal I could’ve imagined in 2012. #surreal
Follow LML by subscribing to my blog to see who I’m cooking with, what I’m eating and where I’m going… #LML #livelovelaughbreathe