Last Monday chefs David Blonsky and Fabio Viviani of Siena Tavern Chicago created a meal to remember at the James Beard Foundation House. Their Modern Mediterranean menu included trays of lobster tails, homemade squid ink pasta, full racks of lamb, top of the line prosciutto di parma, fresh black truffles, quality control tests, and teamwork.
Prep started at 10am, the night finished at 11:30pm, and here’s some of the magic that happened inbetween.
- Became best friends with a semi-dull meat slicer
- Learned how to keep avocado from oxidizing when small diced
- Plated five courses in 7 minute intervals for 82 guests
For more photos check out the DINE AMIC Group Tumblr post! I was quoted and it gives you a few more visuals of the dinners (as you can imagine…my hands were a little busy)!
- Hors d’Oeuvre
- Coccoli with Prosciutto di Parma
- Anchovy Cichetti
- Wagyu Beef Tartare
- Tomato Gazpacho
- Hamachi Crudo
- Tomato Brûlée with Burrata and Crispy Speck
- Squid Ink Linguini with Grilled Lobster
- Balsamic-Glazed Rack of Lamb
- Warm Chocolate Butter Cake and Hazelnut Gelato
OVERALL: In my opinion, tonight was the epitome of a James Beard Event; the featured chefs were not only great leaders but wonderful mentors, the food was extravagant, well cooked and enjoyed by all. Big thank you to Chicago Chefs David, Fabio, and Jeremy, as well as everyone from the Dine Amic Group for this unique Siena Tavern event!
PS: Check out this Potluck Video of Chef Blonsky that was taken during prep! He says it all but I’d like to add that he epitomizes the type of chef that I’d gladly work for in the kitchen.
You’re a beast in the very best way. – David Blonsky