Let’s talk about avocado toast for a sec.
As far as I know, there aren’t any rules when it comes to avocado toast. I mean, as long as there’s avocado and toast, everything else is fair game.
In my version, I made a Pesto Avocado Toast. The idea originated when I decided to blend fresh basil leaves, a clove of garlic, 1/4 cup of toasted pine nuts, and 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil into a homemade pesto. I was just planning to eat the pesto on top of an avocado as snack, but I decided to take it a step further by mashing the avocado and putting it on a piece of toast with melted Cheezehound Mutzalloumi.
WHAT’S CHEEZEHOUND Mutzalloumi? Cheezehound Cheeze is handcrafted in the Catskills and it’s DAIRY-FREE! Lori Robin, the creator of Cheezehound has mastered the art of Lactose-Free, Non-Dairy Nut Cheese.
She makes a variety of cheeses and pates, and I used her Mutzalloumi (mozzarella) in this recipe. It’s hands down the best vegan cheese on the market. It melts well, it’s texture is great and it tastes really good. Since I discovered her Cheezehound, I use her cheezes as an alternative to alleviate seasonal allergy symptoms in the spring and summer. And as an omnivore who can’t eat cheese right now… all I can say is, “THANK YOU LORI!”
Pesto Avocado Toast (Serves 2)
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- 1T Pesto
- 2 Slices of Toasted Bread
- 1 Ball of Cheezehound Mutzalloumi
- Toasted Walnuts (optional)
1. Cut avocado in half, remove pit.
2. Scrape avocado into bowl and mix in pesto (add more pesto for stronger flavor). Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Spread pesto-avocado onto toast.
4. Slice Cheezehound Mutzalloumi and place onto toast.
5. OPTIONAL: Add more pesto on top of Cheezehound Mutzalloumi .
6. OPTIONAL: Melt Cheezehound Mutzalloumi (in convection oven until slightly melted).
7. OPTIONAL: Crush walnuts for the WOW factor!
8. NOT OPTIONAL: Do not waste a drop of the Cheezehound Cheezy goodness. Cheezehound is made in small batches and only available at select NY stores or vegan pop-up events. Check the Cheezehound website for all possible locations!